Science Writers/Outreach Services Contractors, New York State Energy Research & Development Authority (NYSERDA)
Part Time/Freelance, Anywhere
The New York State Energy Research and Development Authority (NYSERDA) seeks proposals from knowledgeable and objective individuals or organizations interested in providing assistance to the Outreach and Science-Policy Communication component of the Environmental Research and Development Program (Environmental R&D).
NYSERDA anticipates selecting one or more contractors to provide services in two main categories:
A) Science–Policy Writers will assist in developing text for outreach materials, synthesizing results from multiple projects, and drafting informational papers on various technical topics.
B) Outreach Services Contractors will develop and implement strategies to cost-effectively disseminate information from Environmental R&D to policymakers, researchers, and the public.
To access all documents for this proposal, please go to:
Web Content Editor/Project Manager, Science Friday, Inc./Science Friday Initiative
Freelance consultant/full time, New York, NY (but could be off site)
Science Friday Initiative (SFI), the nonprofit partner of Science Friday, the live news/talk show that is now in its 20th year of broadcast on NPR, is looking for a take-charge, self- motivated web-savvy editor and project manager who understands science news and nonprofit educational programs. The Project Manager will play a unique role as both a facilitator in expanding the reach of the Science Friday radio show, as well as coordinating outreach efforts of the SFI nonprofit, including web editing.
Specific duties include:
• Serving as editor for the www.talkingscience.org website. You will be expected to offer recommendations for making the site better, more exciting to young people aged 20 and younger, increasing traffic, and recruiting new content providers.
• Cultivating business relationships with radio stations (existing and prospective broadcasters of Science Friday); increasing partnerships and expanding carrier coverage of the Science Friday radio show.
• Ability to stay on top of trends in social media and make recommendations to senior management.
• Research strategic partnerships in new markets.
• Ability to plan and execute public events such as live panels, webcasts, etc.
• Creation of a weekly online newsletter directed towards the Science Friday radio audience and the maintenance of the organizational email list.
• Bring new ideas to the development of annual strategic plan for marketing growth.
Additional responsibilities may include:
• Weekly progress reports, timelines for deliverables and tasks
• Creation of PowerPoint presentations
• Data entry of donor information using Donor Perfect software
• Completion and/or editing of RFPs and grant proposals
The position reports to the Executive Director.
• Bachelor’s degree or higher: preferably in journalism, English, communications, marketing or business.
• Knowledge of audio and video digital editing software, attention to detail, ability to meet deadlines and juggle multiple projects.
• Experience with website editing using WordPress and blogging platforms.
• Must be a strong writer/copy editor who can write clearly, persuasively and cleanly, and who is meticulous about grammar and usage.
• Excellent oral communications and ability to make cold-calls. You can’t be afraid to talk on the phone to people whom you’ve never met!
• Ability to formulate and communicate your ideas using Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
• Deep knowledge of social media channels, tools and platforms, and how consumers and marketers use them.
• NY metropolitan area resident highly preferred. As an independent contractor, your work may be done from your own venue but your presence in the Science Friday offices is necessary at least three days a week.
• Fluency in Spanish and ability to use design software are pluses.
Contact: Ann Marie Cunningham, firstname.lastname@example.org