The Achievement Network (ANet) is a fast-growing non-profit organization dedicated to helping all students achieve academic excellence by providing effective data-driven strategies to identify and close gaps in student learning. Since 2005, we have worked with over 160 charter and district schools to enable teachers to assess student understanding of specific aspects of the curriculum, rethink their teaching approach in problem areas, and ultimately, raise student achievement. Focusing on grades three through eight, we provide regular assessments in English Language Arts and Math aligned to high standards, reports identifying school, class and student strengths and gaps, training and coaching on how to address these gaps, and forums for sharing performance data and best practices across a Network of participating schools. This comprehensive package has produced measurable student achievement gains in our Network schools.
The Achievement Network currently serves schools in Boston and Springfield, MA, Washington, D.C., New Orleans, LA, Newark, NJ, and Chicago, IL and this upcoming year we will open new Networks in New York, NY and Nashville and Memphis, TN. By 2013, we aim to serve over 300 schools across these Networks in order to affect the educational outcomes of over 60,000 students every year.
We are currently hiring Item Reviewers who will review items for our Interim Assessments. Item Reviewers are tasked with editing test questions for clarity, alignment to standards, and math or ELA content. Item Reviewers provide suggestions and feedback to item creators. All Item Reviewers will be trained prior to beginning work.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
a. Review and edit multiple-choice items in Math (aligned to state standards) and/or ELA (aligned to skills within a passage)
b. Review and edit short answer items in Math (aligned to state standards) and/or ELA (aligned to skills within a passage)
c. Review and edit open response items and accompanying rubrics, for Math (aligned to multiple state standards) and/or ELA (aligned to a passage)
d. Provide comprehensive feedback to ANet Assessment Team and/or to item creator
Required Skills, Experiences and Competencies:In order to be successful in this role, ideal candidates should demonstrate the following:
- Excellent education credentials and school experience: Bachelor’s Degree required; 2+ years of standards-based teaching, preferably in grades 3 – 8; experience with or study of assessment creation and design a plus
- Comprehensive understanding of what students must know and be able to demonstrate in different grade levels/subject areas: In order to review and edit items for complete and aligned assessments; Grades 3 – 8, ELA or Math preferred
- Excellent attention to detail: in order to ensure test items are aligned to state standards, mathematically sound, and on grade level.
- Willingness to act on constructive feedback: as an entrepreneurial organization looking to improve the quality of our product, we expect all members of our team to be willing to grow and learn through the process
- Willing to provide constructive feedback: Item reviewers should be willing to provide alternatives when they find errors with items.
- Comfort with working in an entrepreneurial, fast-paced, highly collaborative and team-oriented environment: With a desire to contribute to a growing organization, outstanding project management skills and initiative
- Comfort with meeting deadlines, working independently, and being flexible: All important qualities for staff who work remotely.
- Belief in The Achievement Network’s mission and strategy: Most importantly, a passionate commitment to and a sense of urgency for the support of urban schools, along with a belief that all students can achieve at high levels
a. Pays $20/hour
b. Time varies by item, and number of items to review varies by current workflow
c. Busiest times are generally between March and August
d. Should have flexible schedule and be able to meet one-off requests
How to Apply:
The Achievement Network is soliciting applications for this position immediately. To apply, please email a resume and thoughtful cover letter, outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position and stating how you heard about this opportunity (both in Word format) to Jackie Lariviere at firstname.lastname@example.org, subject line “Part-time Item Reviewer.” Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
The Achievement Network is committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization. We are an equal opportunity employer and seek individuals of all ethnic and racial backgrounds to apply to this position.