The Achievement Network (ANet) is a fast-growing non-profit organization dedicated to helping all students achieve academic excellence by providing effective data-driven strategies to identify and close gaps in student learning. Since 2005, we have worked with over 160 charter and district schools to enable teachers to assess student understanding of specific aspects of the curriculum, rethink their teaching approach in problem areas, and ultimately, raise student achievement. Focusing on grades three through eight, we provide regular assessments in English Language Arts and Math aligned to high standards, reports identifying school, class and student strengths and gaps, training and coaching on how to address these gaps, and forums for sharing performance data and best practices across a Network of participating schools. This comprehensive package has produced measurable student achievement gains in our Network schools.
The Achievement Network currently serves schools in Boston and Springfield, MA, Washington, D.C., New Orleans, LA, Newark, NJ, and Chicago, IL and this upcoming year we will open new Networks in New York, NY and Nashville and Memphis, TN. By 2013, we aim to serve over 300 schools across these Networks in order to affect the educational outcomes of over 60,000 students every year.
Commissioned year-round, data entry staff is tasked with helping The Achievement Network to build our database of math and ELA items. Our question bank is used both in the creation of our assessments as well as in our Quiz Tool for teachers to use in their classrooms. The position requires precise attention to detail, ability to quickly adapt to new online software, and an understanding of content and conventions in math and ELA. Some basic technological and HTML coding knowledge is a plus.
Responsibilities:Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
1. Entering math and English Language Arts test items and passages into our online Quiz Tool, for teachers to use in the classroom, and also into our online Assessment Tool, for us to use on our assessments for schools.
2. Formatting test items to meet specifications.
3. Ensuring quality control, including checking for appropriate mathematical notation, checking for incorrect answers, ensuring alignment to state standards and reading comprehension skills.
Required Skills, Experiences and Competencies:
In order to be successful in this role, ideal candidates should demonstrate the following:
- Excellent education credentials and school experience: Bachelor’s Degree preferred; willing to consider candidates currently pursuing bachelor’s degree. Strong math skills through high school algebra preferred. 2+ years of standards-based teaching, preferably in grades 3 – 8 a plus; experience with or study of assessment creation and design a plus.
- Excellent attention to detail: The ideal candidate will have attention to detail in order to ensure items are on standard, correct mathematical notation, such as italic variables and exponents, are used, that there is exactly one correct answer for each test question, and that formatting request by schools, including bolding and underlining, are incorporated.
- Comfort with working in an entrepreneurial, fast-paced, highly collaborative and team-oriented environment: With a desire to contribute to a growing organization, outstanding project management skills and initiative
- Comfort with meeting deadlines, working independently, and being flexible: All important qualities for staff who work remotely
- Belief in The Achievement Network’s mission and strategy: Most importantly, a passionate commitment to and a sense of urgency for the support of urban schools, along with a belief that all students can achieve at high levels
Salary and Schedule:
a. Pays $15/hour
b. Work load varies by week; requires 5-15 hours per week of availability
How to Apply:
The Achievement Network is soliciting applications for this position immediately. To apply, please email a resume and thoughtful cover letter, outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position and stating how you heard about this opportunity (both in Word format) to Jackie Lariviere at firstname.lastname@example.org, subject line “Part-time Data Entry.” Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
The Achievement Network is committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization. We are an equal opportunity employer and seek individuals of all ethnic and racial backgrounds to apply to this position.