The Achievement Network (ANet) is a fast-growing non-profit organization dedicated to helping all students achieve academic excellence by providing effective data-driven strategies to identify and close gaps in student learning. Since 2005, we have worked with over 160 charter and district schools to enable teachers to assess student understanding of specific aspects of the curriculum, rethink their teaching approach in problem areas, and ultimately, raise student achievement. Focusing on grades three through eight, we provide regular assessments in English Language Arts and Math aligned to high standards, reports identifying school, class and student strengths and gaps, training and coaching on how to address these gaps, and forums for sharing performance data and best practices across a Network of participating schools. This comprehensive package has produced measurable student achievement gains in our Network schools.
The Achievement Network currently serves schools in Boston and Springfield, MA, Washington, D.C., New Orleans, LA, Newark, NJ, and Chicago, IL and this upcoming year we will open new Networks in New York, NY and Nashville and Memphis, TN. By 2013, we aim to serve over 300 schools across these Networks in order to affect the educational outcomes of over 60,000 students every year.
Assessment editors are tasked with reviewing assessments for content, assessment validity, grammar and mechanics, and alignment to state standards, state summative assessments, and the curriculum sequence of our network schools. All Assessment Editors will be trained in ELA and/or Math editing, based on experience, prior to beginning work.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
a. Review and provide detailed edits on Math and/or ELA assessments, across a variety of networks (Massachusetts, Illinois, Tennessee, etc), grades 3-8.
a. ELA assessments consist of 2-4 passages with item sets addressing various skills, and sometimes special sections like Language items.
b. Math assessments consist of mostly multiple-choice items addressing different state standards.
b. Ensure assessments are a good approximate for the state assessment and are aligned with state standards, skills, rigor, and formatting specifications.
Required Skills, Experiences and Competencies:
In order to be successful in this role, ideal candidates should demonstrate the following:
- Excellent education credentials and school experience: Bachelor’s Degree required; 2+ years of standards-based teaching, preferably in grades 3 – 8; experience with or study of assessment creation and design a plus
- Comprehensive understanding of what students must know and be able to demonstrate in different grade levels/subject areas: In order to review and edit items and assessments; Grades 3 – 8, ELA or Math preferred
- Comfort with working in an entrepreneurial, fast-paced, highly collaborative and team-oriented environment: With a desire to contribute to a growing organization, outstanding project management skills and initiative
- Comfort with meeting deadlines, working independently, and being flexible: All important qualities for staff who work remotely
- Belief in The Achievement Network’s mission and strategy: Most importantly, a passionate commitment to and a sense of urgency for the support of urban schools, along with a belief that all students can achieve at high levels
a. Pays $20/hour
b. Usually takes 1.5-2 hours per assessment, and requires 5-10 hours per week of availability
How to Apply:The Achievement Network is soliciting applications for this position immediately. To apply, please email a resume and thoughtful cover letter, outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position and stating how you heard about this opportunity (both in Word format) to Jackie Lariviere at firstname.lastname@example.org, subject line “Part-time Assessment Editor.” Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
The Achievement Network is committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization. We are an equal opportunity employer and seek individuals of all ethnic and racial backgrounds to apply to this position.