NOTE: Not our usual post again, but you may know someone who might be interested in this posting. Responses from their last post were great.
Top performing low-income schools across the country are demonstrating that the achievement gap can be closed. One common practice in these schools is how they effectively use student achievement data to identify gaps in student learning and then relentlessly target their teaching to catch up students who are falling behind. Founded in Boston in 2005, The Achievement Network (ANet), an entrepreneurial non-profit organization on the cutting edge of the education reform movement, is designed to help schools achieve excellence and dramatically improve student achievement.
Founded in 2005, ANet currently serves 252 charter and district schools educating over 60,000 students in Massachusetts, Washington, D.C., New Orleans, Newark, Chicago, Tennessee, and New York City. Schools that work with ANet have significantly increased the percentage of their students scoring advanced or proficient on state year-end summative tests – and more than two times better performance than average school performance in states.
ANet’s comprehensive solution builds partner schools’ capacity to use data effectively in their schools and increase student achievement. There are three major components that make up ANet’s partnership with schools. First, we provide standards-aligned quarterly assessments and user-friendly data reports to determine which standards students are mastering and which standards students are struggling to comprehend. Second, ANet provides intensive coaching to help schools use the data effectively to action plan and re-teach concepts students have not yet mastered. And third, ANet facilitates a peer network of leaders and teachers for best practice sharing and collaboration to accelerate improvement in schools across the network.
This position offers the unique opportunity for an entrepreneurial, results-oriented individual to become a member of The Achievement Network. We are seeking a Math Assessment Development Associate to design Math assessments for our existing and new geographic Networks. The Math Assessment Development Associate will have responsibility for the final item selection and design of ANet interim tests, manage the output of a team of external item writers and editors and serve as a Math subject matter specialist for ANet staff and network leaders. At the same time, the Math Assessment Development Associate will collaborate regularly with ANet’s coaching and reporting departments to ensure alignment and progress towards national-level priorities. Assessment Development Associates report to the Math Assessment Development Manager.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Serve as primary assessment writer for at least one geographic Network
- Write, review and revise assessment items aligned with state standards and rigor
- Determine item selection and design for 4 ANet interim assessments per grade level (3-8)
- Meet all interim and final due dates for assessment creation
- Ensure that ANet interim exams align with state standards and rigor to measure student performance in grades 3 – 8:
- Research and analyze state standards and released items
- Gather and resolve feedback from multiple sources on items
- Review and approve final item selection and design for several Network/grade level Math assessments
- Recruit, train and manage the output of a team of internal and external item writers:
- Recruit part-time outside writers and editors to assist with item creation and assessment revisions
- Develop item writer, assessment creator, and editor training materials and facilitate training sessions
- Approve items for use on tests
- Contribute to the overall success of The Achievement Network:
- Coordinate supplementary materials for schools (e.g. Standards Guides, Subskills guides)
- Work closely with the Math Assessment Development Manager to develop and execute on a strategy to expand our offering to new grade levels and/or subjects
- Proactively identify new opportunities to expand and improve our offering to our Network schools
- Serve as Math subject matter specialist for key networks
- Act as key content expert on assessments for ANet staff
- Ensure Math assessments are completed to meet deadlines and with appropriate input from other teams
Required Skills, Experiences and Competencies:
In order to be successful in this role, ideal candidates should demonstrate the following:
- Excellent education credentials and school experience: Bachelor’s degree; 3+ years of standards-based teaching, preferably in grades 3 – 8; experience with or study of assessment creation and design a plus. Master’s degree preferred.
- Comprehensive understanding of what students must know and be able to demonstrate in different grade levels/subject areas: In order to develop items and design tests and to serve as resource person for ANet staff and school leaders; Grades 3 – 8 Math
- Proven track record of attention to detail: Producing high-quality work to meet internal and external deadlines
- Comfort with working in an entrepreneurial, fast-paced, highly collaborative and team-oriented environment: With a desire to contribute to a growing organization, outstanding project management skills and initiative
- Belief in The Achievement Network’s mission and strategy: Most importantly, a passionate commitment to and a sense of urgency for the support of urban schools, along with a belief that all students can achieve at high levels
Benefits and salary:
Salary for this position is competitive and depends on prior experience and qualifications. We also offer a comprehensive benefits plan.
How to Apply:
The Achievement Network is soliciting applications for this position immediately. To apply, please visit our website, http://www.achievementnetwork.org/careers/ and click the "Apply Now” button. You can review our positions, create an application, and upload a resume and thoughtful cover letter, outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position and stating how you heard about this opportunity. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling and urgent basis.
The Achievement Network is committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization. We are an equal opportunity employer and seek individuals of all ethnic and racial backgrounds to apply to this position.