The Achievement Network (ANet) is a fast-growing non-profit organization dedicated to helping close the achievement gap between students from low-income communities and their more affluent peers. We build the leadership capacity of schools in low-income communities and districts/CMOs by providing practical tools and trainings that set the academic bar high for students, embed data driven practices into daily actions, and facilitate interactions with like-minded schools that accelerate learning. Focusing on grades three through eight, we provide interim assessments in English Language Arts and Math aligned to high standards, reports identifying school, class and student strengths and gaps, training and coaching to school leadership teams and teachers on how to address these gaps, and forums for sharing performance data and best practices across a Network of participating schools. This comprehensive school partnership has produced measurable student achievement gains in our Network schools since our founding in 2005.
In the current 2011-2012 school year, we are working with nearly 260 schools in eight geographic networks: Boston, MA; Washington, DC; New Orleans, LA; Newark, NJ; Chicago, IL; Tennessee; New York City and Western Massachusetts. Over the coming years, The Achievement Network will expand its successful existing Networks and open new Networks.
We are seeking a Director, Common Core Initiative to lead our strategic direction in supporting schools to make the transition to the Common Core State Standards, as part of ANet’s recent Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation grant award to integrate these standards into ANet’s program. This person will oversee the development of tools and trainings (both for internal team members and schools) for the implementation of the Common Core State Standards and new assessment system. This person will also be charged with developing strong personal expert knowledge of and facility with specific assessment tools, namely those produced by the Literacy Design Collaborative (LDC) and the Shell Centre. Further, this person will be responsible for integrating these tools and trainings into standard ANet work. The ideal candidate is motivated by having an impact on closing the achievement gap by creating strategies and tools that help others execute our program effectively. This person will work closely with the Managing Director, Coaching Strategy and will collaborate regularly with ANet’s networks, assessment, scoring and reporting, and other departments to ensure strong integration of the all program elements. This position will report to the Vice President, Program.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
· Developing content expertise on the Common Core State Standards (CCSS) to provide strategic recommendations to ANet’s CEO, Network coaches, and Program and Assessment Departments
· Developing and facilitating trainings for ANet coaching staff on the CCSS and the PARCC/SBAC assessment consortia that support them as experts in the field
· Maintaining and appropriately disseminating up-to-date information on the progress of the PARCC/SBAC assessment consortia
· Developing tools for ANet schools to use, in conjunction with ANet program, that will accelerate their transition to the Common Core State Standards
· Developing and delivering trainings to select ANet schools that support them in transitioning to the CCSS and new assessment system including: basic overviews, planning workshops, integration of performance tasks into instruction, and other relevant topics
· Adapting and developing Common Core Assessment Tools training for implementation, including LDC and Shell Centre tools
· Collaborating within ANet to integrate Common Core Assessment Tools trainings into standard ANet work; working with the Vice President of Assessments and Standards to integrate Common Core Assessment Tools as a measurement of student mastery of key skills and concepts as a complement to ANet’s current interim assessments; ensuring that these integrated assessments are aligned to the Common Core State Standards
· Developing, refining, and reporting on execution milestones related to Common Core Assessment Tools to the Gates Foundation
Required Skills and Characteristics:
In order to be successful in this role, ideal candidates should demonstrate the following:
- Belief in The Achievement Network’s mission and strategy: Embracing assessments and data as meaningful tools for raising student achievement, professional development as a critical lever in improving school achievement, and network collaboration as a powerful means of spreading best practices across schools
- Expert strategic-thinking skills, and a curiosity to solve complex problems and get to the best answers
- Exemplary written and verbal communication skills (able to boil complex ideas into logical and simple articulations)
- Significant experience developing and organizing professional development trainings
- Working knowledge of the standards and best practices of assessment, as well as strong assessment expertise in both mathematics and literacy in grades 3 through 8
- Successful experience in building strong, collaborative relationships
- Alignment to ANet’s core values
- Successful management of self, projects, and others
- Be able to travel as required
Experience and Educational Background:
- Minimum of 6 years of teaching experience required, including:
- Expertise in mathematics in grades 3-8
- Expertise in literacy in grades 3-8
- A proven track record of high achievement results (two or more years preferred) required; teaching in low-income urban communities highly preferred
- Experience with standards-based education and data-driven instruction required
- Graduate school work in relevant programs beneficial
Benefits and salary:
Salary for this position is competitive and depends on prior experience and qualifications. We also offer a comprehensive benefits plan.
How to Apply:
The Achievement Network is soliciting applications for this position immediately. To apply, please email a resume and thoughtful cover letter, outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position and stating how you heard about this opportunity (in Word format) to firstname.lastname@example.org, subject line “Director of Common Core Initiative” Applications will be reviewed on a rolling and urgent basis.
The Achievement Network is committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization. We are an equal opportunity employer and seek individuals of all ethnic and racial backgrounds to apply to this position.